So I’m finally doing the lists of 8 meme that EcoGeoFemme over at The Happy Scientist tagged me for, a bit of a while back. Except I think I might split it into pieces, because I like to add comments…
- Loving, giving, and taking care of people
- Figure skating
- New York City (and cities in general)
- Learning, reading, doing experiments!
- Crafts – sewing, knitting, soon to be quilting!
- Baking! I love to decorate cakes, make cookies and pies, and even make candy!
8 things I often say
- I love you. Mostly to Husband, but in recent years I’ve added it in to occasional conversations with other close friends and family.
- You have to take turns. I’m always saying this, or some variation on it, to the toddlers I take care of.
- Bye girls. Be good! I say this to my two kitty cats when I leave them in the morning. They usually are in the entry way watching me go.
- I just want to stay home all day. Ok, I don’t know exactly what counts as “often” but this is a sentiment I feel all the time.
- Do you want your juice? Again, to the toddlers.
- I’ll have a large tea with skim milk and sugar. My order at Dunkin Donuts, the local delis, or the carts on the side of the street. Sometimes I swap “tea” for “Earl Gray.” Mmmm, Earl Gray.
- Look how cute [Fluffy/Feisty] is right now! (Fluffy and Feisty are the pseudonyms for our cats.)
- I’m sleepy.
8 books I recently read
If you’re interested in what I’ve been reading, you can always check out my readings page where I list books I’ve read and sometimes comments or links to posts about them.
- His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass), by Philip Pullman (OK, not that recent…but within the last 6 months)
- The Family Track: Keeping Your Faculties while You Mentor, Nurture, Teach, and Serve, by Constance Coiner and Diana Hume George
- The Ivy Chronicles, by Karen Quinn
- The Return of the King: Being the Third Part of The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities, by Alexandra Robbins
- Complete Book of Quilting, by Maggi McCormick Gordon
- Mothers on the Fast Track: How a New Generation Can Balance Family and Careers, by Mary Ann Mason
- Who’s Afraid of Marie Curie?: The Challenges Facing Women in Science and Technology, by Linley Erin Hall (currently reading this one)
8 songs that mean something to me
Just 8? I love music too much, picking only eight is hard. This is in no way a comprehensive list.
- If I Aint Got You, by Alicia Keys – This song makes me think of my Husband. In particular because we’re both so non-materialistic.
- Imperfectly, by Ani DiFranco – This is just the most genius of a song. To me, it’s really empowering.
We get a little further from perfection
each year on the road
I guess that’s what they call character
I guess that’s just the way it goes
better to be dusty than polished
like some store window mannequin
why don’t you touch me where I’m rusty
let me stain your hands
- Icarus, by Ani DiFranco – This one captures my outlook on the world so well.
bad dreams like this roll in like a cold front
thunderous thunder and lightning in tow
and your tiny little life gets even smaller
as you heed the heavens’ mighty show
i don’t mean heaven like godlike
cuz the animal i am knows very well
that nature is our teacher and our mother
and god is just another
story that we tell
- Acoustic #3, by the Goo Goo Dolls – This one reminds me of my parents’ relationship – or it did, before my mom finally moved out about two years ago. The whole song speaks loads about how I felt growing up as a teenager.
Your voice is small and fading
And you’re hiding here alone
And your mother loves your father
Cuz she’s got nowhere to go
And she wonders where these dreams go
Cuz the world got in her way
What’s the point in ever trying?
Nothing’s changing anyway
- The Times They Are A Changin’, by Bob Dylan
- Let’s Stay Together, by Al Green – This is what Husband and I used for our first dance at the wedding. We really got into it and he pretended to sing to me and it was fun!
- Galapagos, by The Smashing Pumpkins
And rescue me from me and all that I believe
I won’t deny the pain, I won’t deny the change
And should I fall from grace here with you
Will you leave me too?
- Einstein on the Beach, by Counting Crows
8 qualities I look for in a friend
- Accepting/Nonjudgmental (not only of me but also of people who look/think/act differently, etc.)
8 people who’s blogs I enjoy and who may consider themselves tagged if they wish
- Rebecca at Adventures in Applied Math
- Jenny F. Scientist at A Natural Scientist
- Jane at See Jane Compute
- ScienceMama at Mother of all Scientists
- Zoe at A Family Affair
- Nicole at Just Crazy Enough to Try